- Title: Communications Specialist
- Job role: Public outreach, social media, editing existing documentation, newsletter, and various other assignments that come up
- Workplace: Remote, from home with a weekly check in on Zoom
- Pay: Minimum wage ($14.60/hr)
- Term: 280 hours (16 weeks at 17.5hr per week)
- Qualifications: You must be aged between 15 and 30 and be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible
- Deadline: Applications must be received by Friday, Sept 11, 2020, 12 noon.
- Dates: Interviews will be held on Zoom on September 15 and 17, between 8am and 12 noon.
Details: The Sooke Region Chamber of Commerce is hiring a youth starting in September. This position is for 17.5 hours per week for an 16-week project. The pay is $14.60 an hour. The hours can be modified to part time (with an extended timeline) to allow for a student to work part-time while at school.
Job Description: The successful applicant will create Chamber of Commerce communications around promoting Sooke businesses and BetterBuySooke.ca, the local online shopping mall, including newsletters, articles, short videos (using smartphone technology), social media, etc. The successful applicant will be able to
- Amalgamate existing research and documentation about Sooke businesses
- Create content that engages readers and generates support for local businesses
- Communicate through various mediums (social media, articles, video)
- Work under the supervision of the Executive Director
Skills: We seek someone with strong communication skills, a creative side, and an ability to connect with people. An interest in business and entrepreneurship will be an asset. It will be a remote position (working from home) so you will require your own computer, phone, and software (Word or Open Office).
- You must be aged between 15 and 30 and be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Must be self motivated
- Good research and communication skills and follows direction well
Preference will be given to Sooke residents, as the job will entail taking local photos and in person meetings as permitted by the provincial health officer with proper social distancing. Also, an understanding and familiarity of the Sooke environment will help fulfil the job requirements.
To Apply: If this is something you are interested in, please send your resume and a short example of your writing (no more than one page, it can be from a school assignment or anything you are proud to share). The office is open on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 8am to noon, and other times by appointment. Applications should be sent to email@example.com, before noon on September 11.
Work Environment: This is a remote job posting. You will be expected to work from home. A weekly report will need to be provided, tracking your time and the work accomplished. The Chamber will provide an orientation which will include a copy of bylaws and operations manual, the booklet, and regular in-person check-ins using Zoom.