The Sooke Region Chamber of Commerce has a new President! Meet Mike Menard, a local entrepreneur who owns and operates Menard Plumbing and Heating in Sooke. Menard has over 30 years of experience in his field with a family heritage in plumbing and heating dating back to his grandfather who started his first heating and plumbing company in Ontario back in 1937. His father took over the company in 1971. Menard continues the family trade through his current business.
Menard believes that every problem has a solution, and that’s a philosophy he brings with him as the new president of the Sooke Region Chamber of Commerce. Menard is a strong supporter of chambers and has held membership in both Ontario and BC. Most recently, he has served on Sooke’s chamber as Vice President (2021) and Director (2020).
The Sooke Region Chamber of Commerce announced its 2022 Board of Directors at the Annual General Meeting held on January 25. The Board consists of the following:
- Mike Menard, President (Menard Plumbing and Heating)
- Tim Ayres, Chamber Director (Royal LePage Coast Capital Realty)
- Les Haddad, Chamber Director (Sooke Delivery Guy)
- Bev Petow, Chamber Director (Sooke News Mirror, Petow Design)
- Deb Schenk, Chamber Director (In Shore Fishing Charters)
- Tracy Snow, Chamber Director (Sooke Optometrist)
- Brian White, Chamber Director (Royal Roads University)
- Karen Mason becomes Past President (Mason Financial)
Former President Karen Mason becomes Past President. The Chamber has had a number of achievements under her leadership. Highlights from 2021 include the following:
- Hosted and subsidized an Indigenous awareness workshop, Cultural Perspectives.
- Donated $1,348 to the Food Bank.
- Participated in the T’Sou-ke Nation Housing Solutions Lab.
- Held a Shop Sooke contest, where the winner received over $1,600 in prizes provided by 29 local businesses.
- Signed a service agreement with the District of Sooke.
- Hosted the online Federal Election Forum, seen over 1,000 times.
- Contributed to the Economic Development committee hosted by the District of Sooke.
- Successful grant application for a Hidden Treasures campaign, bringing a $40K promotion campaign highlighting Sooke.
Collaboration partners for the various projects listed above include the District of Sooke, WorkLink BC, Sooke Lions, Sooke Harbourside Lions, Sooke Regional Tourism Association, Sooke Multi-belief Initiative, WestShore Chamber, Victoria Chamber, BC Chamber and Canada Chamber.